Homemade BBQ Chicken Pizza
Looking for a delicious (and fun) meal to make this weekend? Then look no further! I recently partnered with Stubb’s BBQ Sauce to create this tasty BBQ Chicken Pizza. Have a delicious weekend!
For this Barbecue Chicken Pizza, you’ll need to cook the chicken ahead of time. I decided this was the perfect opportunity to try Stubb’s Green Chile Marinade, so I covered a chicken breast in this marinade and went about my daily chores.
By the time late afternoon rolled around, I fired up the grill and threw the chicken on. About 10 minutes later, I was looking at a delicious piece of chicken, and it was all I could do to save it for the pizza! (Ok, I may have snuck a piece or two when I was chopping it up…can you blame me?) I am a true believer in this Green Chile Marinade, and I suspect I will be trying Stubb’s other marinades in the not-so-distant future!
But that chicken was destined for pizza…this BBQ Chicken Pizza to be exact! Here are a few secrets/tips that I use when making homemade pizza:
Secrets to Making the Perfect BBQ Chicken Pizza
- Use a mixture of cheeses. Mozzarella is great because of the way it melts, but try adding shredded cheddar or smoked Gouda – it’s amazing!
- Mix a small amount of dried Italian seasonings + kosher salt with olive oil. Brush this mixture all around the outer edge of the crust. This will give your pizza crust an amazing texture and taste! In fact, the crust rivals the pizza itself…seriously!
- Once it’s baked, sprinkle a small handful of freshly chopped cilantro on top of the pizza. The fresh herbs really balance the tasty flavor of the barbecue sauce!
- Wondering how to add that perfect drizzle of BBQ sauce? Use a plastic squirt bottle! Not only does this trick add flavor to the pizza, but it also provides a nice visual appeal.
Homemade BBQ Chicken Pizza
- 8 ounce boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2/3 cup green chile marinade
- 16 oz. pizza dough homemade or storebought
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/3 tsp dried Italian seasonings
- ½ cup + 2 Tbsp barbecue sauce divided
- 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- ½ medium red onion cut into rings
- Fresh cilantro for garnishing
- Place the chicken breast in a small container and cover with the Green Chile Marinade. Flip the chicken several times to ensure it is well-coated. Cover and place in refrigerator for 4-6 hours.
- Preheat a grill to medium heat. Place the chicken breast on the grill, and cook until done (about 10 minutes). Dice the chicken into cubes about ¾”-1” in size. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 460 degrees. (Tip: Pizza stones are an invaluable tool for homemade pizza. They absorb the heat of the oven, giving you the perfect cooking surface.)
- Prepare the pizza dough by stretching it into a large circle. (I prefer to place a piece of parchment paper under my dough as it makes it easier to get the pizza into and out of the oven.)
- In a small dish, combine the olive oil and Italian seasonings. Mix well. Brush the mixture around the outer 1” of dough.
- Spread ½ cup of BBQ sauce evenly over the center of the dough.
- In a medium bowl, combine the Mozzarella, smoked Gouda, and Cheddar cheeses. Gently toss until mixed. Spread the cheese mixture evenly across the top of the barbecue sauce.
- Spread the grilled chicken cubes and sliced onions across the top of the pizza.
- Bake in a 460F degree oven for 12-14 minutes, or until edges of the pizza turn golden in color.
- Remove pizza from oven and top with fresh cilantro.
- Using a squirt bottle (or sandwich bag with one tiny corner snipped off), drizzle the remaining 2 Tbsp of BBQ sauce across the top of the pizza.)
Spiced® is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associate Programs and other affiliate services. This means that spicedblog.com receives a small commission by linking to Amazon.com and other sites at no cost to the readers.