Drizzled with caramel and vanilla, this Dr Pepper Pound Cake is the perfect dessert for your next outdoor party, summer picnic or backyard bash!
This post may contain paid links. For more information, please see our disclosure policy.
I actually remember my first barber having one of these glass soda bottle machines. As a kid, I was terrified of any sort of doctor’s appointment, and for some reason I equated getting my hair cut with a visit to the doctor. So to keep me calm and in a somewhat good mood, my Mom would always get me a Dr Pepper from the glass bottle vending machine that sat in the corner of the barber shop. Isn’t it funny the random things that we remember from childhood? I don’t remember taking my first step or losing my first tooth, but boy do I remember that barber shop and those glass bottles of Dr Pepper!
You can imagine my sheer joy when I came across some glass bottles of Dr Pepper at Walmart last week. Talk about a trip down memory lane! I’d actually picked up a pack of cans when I turned a corner and saw the glass bottles. I couldn’t throw…err, carefully place…those bottles in my cart fast enough! When I got home, I promptly put two bottles in the fridge to chill. Then I decided that one of the other bottles should be used to create a delicious pound cake. (BTW, pound cake is one of my favorite cakes of all time…just sayin’.)
What? You didn’t realize that you could use soda to create an awesome pound cake? Well now you know! (They say we learn something new every day…so you can go ahead and check that box off of your “to-do” list for the day.) I decided to spice this pound cake up with a drizzle of either caramel or vanilla. Ah, but which one? Both flavors would work so well on the pound cake. After a bit of internal debate, I just said forget it and went with both! I mean, how can you go wrong with a delicious pound cake drizzled with caramel and vanilla?
Let me tell ya…this Dr Pepper Pound Cake is one delicious cake! We served it at a backyard picnic with friends, and it was a huge hit. I hope you enjoy this cake as much as we did!
If you’re looking for more tasty pound cake recipes, check out this 7UP Pound Cake!
Dr Pepper Pound Cake
For the Pound Cake
For the Pound Cake
- Using a countertop mixer, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy in color (~5 minutes on medium speed).
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing on low after each addition until fully incorporated.
- Add salt and flour 1 cup at a time, mixing on low after each addition until fully incorporated.
- Add Dr Pepper and mix on low speed until a smooth batter forms (~1-2 minutes).
- Pour batter into a greased tube or bundt pan. Bake at 325°F for 90-100 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
For the Caramel Sauce
- Place the sugar in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Whisk the sugar constantly as it begins to melt. (Tip: Use a larger saucepan than you might think because the mixture will bubble up when the other ingredients are added!)
- Once the sugar has fully melted and turns light caramel in color, remove pan from heat and add the butter. Stir until butter has fully melted. (Note: The mixture will bubble up rapidly once the butter is added, so use caution.)
- Slowly whisk in the heavy cream. (Tip: If the caramel seizes up when you add the liquid, you can place it back over low temperature and whisk constantly until it turns into a thick sauce.)
- Let cool at room temperature for at least 20 minutes.
For the Vanilla Sauce
- Whisk all ingredients together in a medium bowl until well combined.
To Garnish Cake
- Place cake on a large serving platter.
- Transfer the Vanilla Sauce into a piping bag or a sandwich bag with one corner snipped off. Drizzle the top of the cake generously.
- Repeat with the Caramel Sauce.