Love the chocolate + peppermint combo? Make a batch of these Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies and serve ’em with Kahlua Peppermint Hot Cocoa!
Is it just me or does Christmas seem to be approaching really quickly this year? I know stores have had holiday decorations out since September (I saw them!), but that doesn’t make me think Christmas is coming soon. One of my favorite things about the holiday season (aside from spending time with family and friends, of course) is all of the delicious treats that show up this time of the year. Ok, I might be responsible for making a lot of those treats in our kitchen…but it’s tradition, right? It doesn’t feel like the holidays unless you have a fire roaring in the fireplace and no less than 8 tins of cookies, brownies, and other treats on the counter at all times!
I’ve always loved chewy cookies. Nothing against a crisp cookie or anything, but I just prefer chewy. So when Kahlúa asked me to create a festive recipe for the holidays, I knew cookies had to be involved somehow. Then I saw the new Kahlúa Peppermint Mocha flavor that just came out, and I instantly had an idea.
What if there was a cookie that was reminiscent of a rich, chewy brownie? It sounded like something I needed to try. Like yesterday. So after a little playing around in the kitchen, I came up with this chewy Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookie. I still call it a cookie, but this treat is definitely closely related to the brownie. And the peppermint pieces that go on top about half-way through baking really give this cookie a holiday twist!
Every since I can remember, I’ve always been a huge fan of the holidays. There’s something about the gift-giving and general merriment that always puts me in a good mood! And I love to bake, so the holidays are the perfect opportunity to share delicious treats with friends and neighbors.
If you’re looking for a fun co-worker or neighbor gift, then I suggest baking up a batch of these Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies. There’s something fun about telling folks that the cookies have Kahlúa in them! (And if we’re talking about close friends, throw a bottle of Kahlúa Peppermint Mocha in there, too. The homemade touch of the cookies is always special…and I don’t know anyone who would be sad about getting a bottle of Kahlúa!)
Chocolate and peppermint are a classic flavor of the holidays, and these cookies combine both into one. But to really get into the holiday spirit, make a big batch of this Kahlúa hot chocolate to drink while you’re making the cookies. Not only is this hot chocolate really, really tasty…but it will make your house smell delicious, too!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Kahlúa. The opinions and text are all mine.
Double Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate coarsely chopped
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 Tbsp Kahlúa Peppermint Mocha
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅔ cup peppermint pieces
- Using a double-burner or a microwave, melt the chocolate pieces until smooth. Let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, place 4-5 candy canes in a plastic sandwich bag and gently break the pieces until they are about ½”-¾” in size. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a countertop mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until fluffy and light in color.
- Add the eggs and Kahlúa Peppermint Mocha and beat until liquids are absorbed.
- Sift in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Beat until fully combined. (Note: this cookie dough is very sticky!)
- Scoop out about 1-1½ Tbsp of dough and gently shape into a round disc. Place on a parchment-lined sheet pan, leaving about 2” between each cookie. (Tip: Keep your hands dusted with flour as it will help shape the sticky dough into cookies!)
- Bake at 375°F for 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and gently press about 4-5 peppermint pieces into the top of each cookie. Return the cookies to the oven and continue baking for another 4 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool before removing from pan.
Kahlúa Peppermint Hot Cocoa
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup sugar
- 4 cups whole milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup Kahlúa Peppermint Mocha
- Whipped cream to garnish
- Peppermint pieces to garnish
- In a small saucepan, mix together the cocoa powder, sugar, and milk.
- Heat over medium-low heat until hot. Add the vanilla and Kahlúa Peppermint Mocha. Stir well and pour into mugs. Garnish with whipped cream and peppermint pieces.