Sometimes you just need a bowl of delicious, creamy soup. For those times, this Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup is the perfect solution!
Every January, Laura and I detox from the holidays by making batch after batch of brothy soups. Spinach Artichoke Soup. Tomato Orzo Soup. Chicken and Wild Rice Soup. Those are all staple meals in our house on cold winter days. This Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup is different. It’s not a detox soup. It’s creamy in the best way possible, and it’s loaded with potato gnocchi. It’s the stick-to-your-ribs, fill-your-belly on a chilly day kinda soup. And it’s definitely going on our list of favorite soups – just maybe not for January!
My love affair with gnocchi has been discussed many times before. However, I normally make gnocchi as a main dish by itself. It might be in a classic red sauce or perhaps it’s with pesto, but gnocchi is the primary meal. This Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup is different. The gnocchi is important, but it’s only one ingredient that helps the whole soup come together.
On a side note, if you’ve never had gnocchi in a soup, then you totally need to try it! Gnocchi is a pasta made out of potatoes. We often put cubed potatoes in soup, right? So it’s not a far stretch to just use gnocchi instead. You can certainly make your own gnocchi (homemade gnocchi is amazing!), but for the purposes of this soup, I recommend just picking up a package from the store. You can find gnocchi in either the dry pasta aisle or in the refrigerated pasta section.
Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup
This Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup is comfort food at its’ best! Aside from the taste, one of the best things about this soup is how easy it is to make. If you have about 30 minutes, then you have enough time to put a steaming bowl of this soup on the kitchen counter. This thick and creamy soup really hangs on to the heat, so it’s the perfect recipe to serve when there’s a chill in the air!
I really appreciate all of the different textures in this soup. From the gnocchi to the cubed chicken breast to the spinach, there is a lot going on with this soup. In fact, I could see adding some broccoli florets to this soup, too. Next time…next time!
If you’re looking for one heck of a tasty creamy soup, then put this one on the menu! It’s a favorite around here for these autumn days when the nights begin to get chilly. Stay warm, and enjoy this soup!
Did you make a batch of this Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup at home? Leave a comment, or snap a photo and tag me on Instagram (@Spicedblog). I’d love to see your version!
Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into ½” cubes
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup diced white onions
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 16-oz. package potato gnocchi
- 1 cup fresh spinach chopped
- Using a large pot or a Dutch oven, add olive oil and place over medium-high heat. Once hot, add cubed chicken. Cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is browned and fully cooked. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Using same pot, add butter, onions, celery, carrots and garlic; stir until well combined. Sauté, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes, or until vegetables have softened.
- Add flour, stir until well combined.
- Add half-and-half, chicken broth, thyme and pepper; stir until well combined. Bring mixture to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- Add gnocchi and spinach; stir until well combined. Continue cooking on medium low, stirring often, for 4-5 minutes.
- Add cooked chicken; continue cooking for 4-5 more minutes, stirring often.
Looking for more tasty soup recipes? Check out some of our other favorites, too: