This Chicken Tikka Masala post has been sponsored by ShopRite Supermarkets. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Skip the take-out and make this Chicken Tikka Masala at home! Simmered in a flavorful yogurt marinade, this classic Indian dish is packed with incredible flavor!
This post may contain paid links. For more information, please see our disclosure policy.
We don’t mind doing DIY projects around the house but reseeding a significant portion of the lawn is a big project! From tilling up the weeds to properly preparing the area with fertilizer and lime, I feel like every weekend lately has been spent working on that patch of yard. And that doesn’t even include the multiple-times-per-day watering. But, darn it, that patch of yard is going to be amazing next spring!
One of the ways we convince ourselves to go out and work on the lawn each Saturday morning is the promise of delicious comfort food for dinner later that night. It’s been a hot summer here in upstate New York, and some of those Saturday mornings have been downright exhausting. But knowing that you’ve got tasty food on the agenda helps you forget about the hard work!
Laura has always loved Indian food. Neither of us grew up eating Indian food, but one of Laura’s roommates in college was Indian. They would make Indian food together quite a bit, and Laura learned all of the tips and tricks to making tasty Indian food. Laura has since shared many of those tips with me, and now I’m sharing one of our favorites here on the blog: Chicken Tikka Masala.
Chicken Tikka Masala
Laura calls this Chicken Tikka Masala recipe one of her top 3 recipes of all time. Both of us love to cook, so a spot in the top 3 is impressive! Chicken Tikka Masala starts with chicken marinated in yogurt and spices. (The spice list might look long, but chances are you already have most of them in your spice pantry.) Then that chicken gets simmered in a creamy sauce the next day before being served over rice. And it really is delicious! <– This is coming from someone who didn’t grow up eating Indian food!
For me, one of the most important ingredients in this Chicken Tikka Masala is not the chicken or the spices…it’s the naan bread. Seriously! This recipe is saucy, and that naan bread is a requirement for scraping up every last bit of the sauce from your plate. And this sauce is just too good to leave on your plate! As I was leaving the curling club the other day, I stopped into ShopRite Supermarket to get the ingredients for this Chicken Tikka Masala. When I went to get the naan, I noticed ShopRite has a new line of ShopRite Trading Company products. I was intrigued!
ShopRite Trading Company is a line of products imported from around the world. For instance, the STC Tandoori Naan as well as the STC Garlic Tandoori Naan are both imported directly from India. How cool is that? The naan is hand stretched before being baked in Tandoor clay ovens. Other imported products in the ShopRite Trading Company line include Kalamata Olives from Greece, STC Smoked Salmon imported from Norway and Extra Virgin Olive Oil imported from Italy. The fact that I can find these specialty ingredients in my local ShopRite Supermarket is especially appealing to me, too!
Our closest ShopRite is located right next to the curling club, which is perfect since I’m at the club multiple nights a week. Laura’s already been begging me to make another batch of this Chicken Tikka Masala, so I’ll just have to swing through ShopRite and pick up some more of this Tandoori Naan (it’s in the freezer section). This naan is so tasty that I can totally just eat it by itself. In fact, maybe I’ll buy a couple of packs next time –one for after my curling game and another for Chicken Tikka Masala. I highly suspect that both the Tandoori Naan and the Garlic Tandoori Naan will be staples in our freezer now!
Next time you’re in a ShopRite Supermarket (here’s a link to their store finder), check out their lineup of ShopRite Trading Company products. The fact that these products are imported from around the world is really awesome! I hope you enjoy this Chicken Tikka Masala as much as we do. And make sure to grab extra Tandoori Naan…you don’t want to leave any of that sauce on your plate! Cheers, friends!
Looking for more tasty dinner ideas? Check out some of these other favorites:
Chicken Tikka Masala
For the Chicken
For the Sauce
- 2 Tbsp vegetable or canola oil
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 medium red onion diced
- 1 Tbsp garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp ginger grated
- 1 15-oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1½ tsp garam masala
- 1½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp sugar
- 6 cups cooked ShopRite Trading Company Basmati Rice
- fresh cilantro chopped
- ShopRite Trading Company Tandoori Naan
- Using a medium mixing bowl, combine all ingredients including chicken. Stir until chicken is well coated, cover and refrigerate for 4-6 hours. (Note: If possible, marinate chicken overnight.)
- Using a large skillet, add vegetable oil and place over medium-high heat. Once hot, remove chicken from marinade and place in skillet. Cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove chicken from pan and set aside. (Note: Chicken will not be fully cooked yet.)
- Add butter to skillet. Once melted, add sliced onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and ginger; stir and continue cooking for 1-2 more minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add tomato sauce, cumin, paprika, turmeric, garam masala, coriander, salt, pepper and cayenne; stir until well combined. Simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add heavy cream, sugar and chicken; stir until well combined. Continue cooking for 10-12 more minutes, or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Divide rice onto plates and top with cubed chicken and sauce; garnish with cilantro.
- Serve with ShopRite Trading Company naan.