These Broccoli & Sun-Dried Tomato Egg Cups are perfect for a quick breakfast or lunch on the go!
This post brought to you by AllWhites Egg Whites. The content and opinions expressed below are that of Spiced.
One of the awesome added benefits of being a food blogger is that you often have a fridge full of delicious leftovers. There’s only two of us here in the Spiced house (not counting our 2 rambunctious pups), and that means we often have leftovers. And I’m totally ok with that! In the winter, it means that we often have some sort of soup for lunch. And when the weather is warmer, I can almost always rummage around the fridge and find some leftover grilled veggies.
But truthfully, one of my favorite lunches is an egg white sandwich. It’s my go-to lunch when we don’t have any leftovers hanging around, and it couldn’t be easier. Scramble up a couple of egg whites with a pinch of Cajun seasoning, and then toss that on a toasted roll with a piece of cheese. *Boom* Lunch is served in less than 5 minutes. Plus, there’s something awesome about eating a hot meal for lunch, right?
I use a lot of egg whites around here. But I also hate wasting food. So that’s where AllWhites Egg Whites come in. I often keep a container in the fridge just for making my egg white sandwiches at lunch. But the other day, I stumbled across a delicious recipe on the AllWhites website. Broccoli & Sun-Dried Tomato Egg Cups. Stop and think about all of the delicious flavors going on in there. Plus, they are baked in cupcake wrappers…meaning it’s super easy to bake up a batch and then just re-heat a couple of these bad boys for lunch. (They’re also a great option for grab-and-go breakfasts, too!)
Remember how I mentioned above that we often have leftovers hanging out in our fridge (and freezer)? Well that applies to leftover desserts, too. I have a bit of a sweet tooth, and I just can’t say no to a tasty dessert. So I opt to hit the gym several mornings a week instead. Combine that with eating healthier lunches, and I feel like it’s ok to have a slice of cake now and then. For us, a balanced lifestyle is a healthy lifestyle.
Egg whites are an incredibly healthy source of protein. They’re naturally fat-free and cholesterol-free, and they have a 0 PointsPlus® value on the Weight Watchers program. Plus, it’s super convenient to just keep a container of AllWhites Egg Whites in the fridge. It’s 100% egg whites with no yolks…perfect for whipping up easy egg white sandwiches, egg white omelets or these tasty Broccoli & Sun-Dried Tomato Egg Cups. (AllWhites Egg Whites can be found in the refrigerated dairy section.)
You could also mix up this recipe by just combining 3 cups of your favorite veggies (finely chopped) with a couple tablespoons of a low-fat cheese. I’m thinking the next round should involve feta cheese with some marinated artichokes, tomatoes and olives. Who’s with me on this one?
So I’m curious. What is your go-to lunch? Do you like eating hot meals in the middle of the day?
Broccoli & Sun-Dried Tomato Egg Cups
- 2 cups broccoli finely chopped
- ¾ cup sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped
- ¼ cup green onions finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper finely ground
- 2 cups AllWhites egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners (or grease with cooking spray).
- Place broccoli, sun-dried tomatoes and green onions in a microwave-safe bowl. Add 1/3 cup of water. Cover lightly and microwave on high for 3½ minutes, or until tender. Drain any excess liquid and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Divide the vegetable mixture evenly between the 12 cups. Next, pour egg whites evenly into the 12 cups. (Note: Cups should be about ¾ full.)
- Bake at 350°F for 22-24 minutes, or until set in center.
- Remove cups from pan and place on wire rack to cool.