These Bourbon Pecan Brownies are a new favorite in our house! These chewy, chocolatey brownies are topped with a brown sugar + bourbon + pecan frosting…and the result is delicious!
This post may contain paid links. For more information, please see our disclosure policy.
For these Bourbon Pecan Brownies, I started with my favorite brownie recipe and then finished it off with a bourbon + pecan + brown sugar frosting. Oh man, this recipe is a keeper! Are you a fan of bourbon? Bourbon is a uniquely American liquor…in fact, to be called bourbon, it must be made in the US. This is similarly to how scotch must be made in Scotland. (All bourbons and scotches fall under the broader ‘whiskey’ category, though.)
Is it just me, or has the bourbon market exploded in the past 5-10 years? I feel like there used to be a few choices at the store, but now there is an entire wall dedicated to different bourbons. I’m ok with that! Laura and I occasionally enjoy picking out a random bottle at the store, and we’ve discovered several of our favorite bourbons that way. While that bourbon typically gets consumed on a weekend evening in the basement, every once in a while I might steal a splash for a recipe. Laura certainly didn’t mind that I borrowed a couple teaspoons for these Bourbon Pecan Brownies!
Bourbon Pecan Brownies
Even if you’re not a huge bourbon fan, I suspect you’ll enjoy these Bourbon Pecan Brownies! One of our friends isn’t a big bourbon guy, and he enjoyed these brownies. The bourbon adds an extra layer of flavor to the frosting, but it’s not overpowering at all. If you know it’s bourbon, then you’ll be able to pick out the flavor for sure, though.
Either way, chewy chocolate brownies topped with brown sugar + bourbon frosting come together to create a dessert recipe that’s worth keeping! Bookmark it. Print it out. Screen shot. Do whatever you do. Just try not to eat the entire batch at once, ok? (Although I won’t judge you if you do.) Cheers, friends! Oh, and if you make these brownies at home, come back and share your thoughts. Or just snap a photo and tag me on Instagram (@Spicedblog).
Love brownies? Check out some of these other favorites, too!
Bourbon Pecan Brownies
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour a 9”x13” baking pan. Line bottom parchment paper (see note); set pan aside.
- Using a medium saucepan, add the butter, chocolate and 1 cup of chocolate chips. Place over medium-low heat, stirring often, until butter and chocolate have fully melted; set pan aside to cool.
- Using a large bowl, mix together the eggs, sugar and vanilla. Stir the egg mixture into the warm chocolate mixture.
- Using a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir the flour mixture into the chocolate mixture.
- Stir the chopped pecans and remaining ¾ cup of chocolate chips into the batter.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Bake at 350°F for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the brownies comes out mostly clean.
- Let brownies cool completely before frosting.
For the Bourbon Pecan Frosting
- Using a medium saucepan, add cream, butter and both sugars. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture begins to boil. Continue boiling for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in remaining ingredients (pecans, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and bourbon); let mixture cool for 5 minutes.
- Spread frosting evenly over brownies. Let cool for 1 hour, or until frosting has fully set.