I’ve partnered with MARS and Collective Bias to create these 4-Layer TWIX Dessert Bars. They’re loaded with chocolate, caramel and of course TWIX Bites…the perfect combination for a fun summer dessert!
There were always a few things I could count on when I was a kid growing up in Charleston, SC. For starters, my sister’s troll doll collection. I could always count on her to be carrying that collection somewhere. And I could count on the fact that I was not allowed to touch or even look at them…unless I paid her 25¢. Bummer. I could also always count on my Mom keeping a stash of TWIX mini-candy bars hidden somewhere in the kitchen. TWIX is one of her favorite candy bars, so I knew we always had some stashed away somewhere. Even when she started hiding them, I would still find ’em. Kids are sneaky (or perhaps stubborn?) like that! To this day, TWIX remain one of my favorite candy bars, and I often keep a stash hidden somewhere in the house. I guess we really do turn into our parents as we grow up. (Yikes!)
I had an amazing idea just the other day. I had a bag of TWIX® Bites sitting on the counter, and I also happened to have some leftover caramels laying nearby. The wheels up top started turning. What if I create a dessert bar using said TWIX and said caramels…and put a nice graham cracker crust on the bottom…and top the whole thing with melted chocolate. Yes. Just yes. These 4-Layer TWIX Dessert Bars needed to happen!
Of course, when it came time to make these bars, I was almost out of TWIX Bites. (I told you they were one of my favorite candy bars!) So I ran out to Walmart and picked up a couple more bags. To be fair, I only needed one bag to make these 4-Layer TWIX Dessert Bars, but I needed another bag to uh help…umm…inspire me while I was making the bars. Yes, inspire…that’s it! So there I was in the kitchen…melting chocolate with one hand and munching on TWIX Bites with the other. It was a tough job, but someone had to do it.
Can I just take a moment to say how much I love all of the new Bites that Mars has come out with? For me, they’re the perfect after-lunch snack when I’m craving something sweet. (And there’s no wrappers to deal with!) But more importantly, they’re really fun to use in recipes! On top of cakes, inside bars, the possibilities here are endless…if you can keep from eating them all first! (Or you could be like me and buy an extra bag from the start…you know, just for inspiration.)
4-Layer TWIX® Dessert Bars
- 13 full-size graham crackers
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, divided
- 15 oz. soft caramel candies, unwrapped
- 2 Tbsp evaporated milk
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 7-oz bag Twix bites, unwrapped
- 12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare an 8”x8” brownie pan by lining it with parchment paper or aluminum foil. (Tip: Make the parchment or foil sheets extra long so that they extend over edges of the pan. This will make it easy to lift the brownies out later!)
For the Graham Cracker Crust
- Using a food processor or mini-chopper, pulse the graham crackers until finely ground.
- In a medium bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar and 1 stick (8 Tbsp) of melted butter. Stir until well combined. Press the mixture into the bottom of brownie pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes. Set aside to let crust cool before adding the Caramel Layer.
For the Caramel Layer
- Place the unwrapped caramels, evaporated milk and water in a large, microwave-safe bowl. Heat in microwave for 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval. (Note: It took me 5 rounds before mixture was fully melted and smooth.)
- Spread Caramel Layer evenly on top of the Graham Cracker Crust, and use an offset spatula to push caramel mixture to the edges of the pan.
For the Twix Layer
- Coarsely chop the Twix bites, leaving a couple to use as garnish later.
- Sprinkle the chopped Twix bites evenly across the top of the Caramel Layer.
For the Chocolate Layer
- Using a small saucepan, add the semi-sweet chocolate, remaining 1/2 stick (4 Tbsp) of unsalted butter and heavy cream. Cook over low heat, stirring often, until chocolate and butter have melted and mixture is smooth. Pour mixture on top of the Twix Layer, and use an offset spatula to spread the chocolate evenly across the top. Place the remaining Twix Bites on top of the Chocolate Layer.
- Cover pan and place in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours. Lift the bars out of the pan and cut into 2”x2” squares.