These Monterey Jack Stuffed Meatballs are a quick and tasty recipe that’s perfect for summer dinner on the grill!
I’m totally excited that September is here because that means the Fall baking season can officially begin! But I’m also sad that summer is over. So while I’m ready to fire up the oven for some delicious baked breads and treats, I’m also hoping to get every last minute out of grilling season before the winter hits.
Monterey Jack Stuffed Meatball Kabobs
Kabobs are one of my favorite grilling techniques…they’re easy, quick, and look great when served right off the grill! Plus, grilled kabobs are one of the easiest dinner ideas out there. Once the skewers are made (which can be done in advance), then all that’s left is the grilling part. No pots. No pans. No dishes to do afterwards. Heck, even forks and knives are optional here! Their simplicity makes kabobs the perfect fare for backyard cookouts with friends and neighbors. The work can be done in advance, and then you can actually enjoy your own party!
For these Monterey Jack Stuffed Meatballs, I wanted to do something just a bit different. I love cheese. But we all know that most cheeses don’t grill that well. So then I had an idea…why not stuff the cheese inside of meatballs? Add some assorted veggies to the skewer along with the meatball and you’ve got an easy dinner! Plus, these stuffed meatballs on skewers can easily be made in advance and stored covered in the refrigerator until it’s time to fire up the grill. (Just make sure to let the kabobs sit out for about 20 minutes first. Meats cooked at room temperature don’t tend to dry out as fast!)
Looking for more kabob ideas? Check out these other favorites!
Monterey-Jack Stuffed Meatballs
For the Monterey-Jack Stuffed Meatballs:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup bread crumbs or Panko-style crumbs
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ cup red onion diced very finely
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese coarsely shredded
For the Skewers:
- 1 large zucchini cut into 1.5” cubes
- 1-2 red peppers cut into 1” pieces
- 1-2 yellow peppers cut into 1” pieces
- 1 red onion cut into 1” pieces
For the Herb Mixture:
- ¼ cup vegetable or canola oil
- ½ Tbsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- In a medium bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the Meatballs except for the cheese. Mix until well combined. Separate into 9 meatballs of approximately even weight. (This is very important so that the meatballs all cook in the same time on the grill.)
- Working with 1 meatball at a time, flatten it out into a large disc. Add a small amount of shredded cheese to the center of the disc. Carefully roll the sides up until the disc is again shaped like a round meatball.
- Thread meatballs, zucchini, peppers, and onions onto 6 skewers.
- Meanwhile, combine the ingredients for the Herb Mixture in a small bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Place kabobs on grill, and brush the veggies with approximately half of the Herb Mixture. Grill over medium-high heat for 5-6 minutes.
- Rotate kabobs, and brush the veggies with remaining Herb Mixture. Continue grilling for another 5-6 minutes, or until meatballs are done. (Food Safety Tip: Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160F degrees.)