Love doughnuts? Turn ’em into a tart crust with this Lemon Blueberry Tart recipe. It uses Krispy Kreme’s Blueberry Cake Donuts as a base.
A couple of weeks ago, I had the unique opportunity to travel to Krispy Kreme’s global headquarters in Winston-Salem, NC. This was without a doubt one of the best experiences ever! Krispy Kreme’s most famous doughnut is their original glazed, and I grew up eating these as a special treat on weekend mornings…but they are especially amazing when they are still hot! If you ever have the opportunity to eat a hot, Krispy Kreme doughnut…do it. Trust me on this one. (If you are lucky enough to live
near within 150 miles of a Krispy Kreme store, then check out this cool app which tells you when the doughnuts at your store are hot!)
I’m pretty sure I sampled about 8 different kinds of doughnuts in a 24-hour period…I have a really hard job. One of my personal favorites is the blueberry cake doughnut, and I used them to create an amazing Lemon Tartlet (recipe below). The hardest part for me was sacrificing the doughnuts needed to make this recipe! (I live in upstate New York, and the only Krispy Kreme doughnuts I had were the ones that came back on the plane with me. On a side note, if you are ever bored, try carrying 4 dozen doughnuts through airport security…)
Lemon Tart with Krispy Kreme Doughnut Crust
- 4 Krispy Kreme Blueberry Cake doughnuts
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter divided
- ¼-½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1¾ cups water
- 1 cup granulated sugar divided
- 4 large egg yolks
- ⅓ cup cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp salt
- zest of 2 lemons
- juice of 3 lemons
- In a food processor, pulse the 4 doughnuts into crumbs.
- Melt 4 Tbsp of butter and mix with doughnut crumbs until well combined.
- Add flour into a workable dough is created. (It should hold together easily but also not be too wet.)
- Press dough into bottom and sides of a 9″ tart pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg yolks, 1/4 cup sugar, cornstarch, salt, and zest until well combined.
- Meanwhile, combine 3/4 cup sugar and water in medium saucepan and stir until dissolved. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Slowly pour the water/sugar mixture into the egg yolk mixture, stirring yolks constantly while pouring.
- Return entire mixture to heat and bring to a boil again. (You will need to stir frequently in this stage to keep mixture from burning!)
- Once mixture boils, remove from heat and add remaining butter and lemon juice. Stir until butter melts and mixture is well combined.
- Pour into baked tart crust and cool.
- Once cool, place in refrigerator until sets.
These tarts not only taste amazing, but they are really quite simple to make.
If you ever find yourself traveling in North Carolina, make sure to include a stop in Winston-Salem. Grab a hot doughnut. Spend a couple of hours wandering around Old Salem. Grab dinner at the Spring House. Spend the night at the Graylyn. Trust me when I say that it will be a day well spent!
Krispy Kreme sponsored the Blogger Summit but all opinions are my own because I am obsessed with their doughnuts!