So the holiday festivities are behind us, and we’re settling back into the work routine. I don’t know about you, but I’m kinda happy to get back into the routine again. I love the holidays and taking a break, but after a while, I start to get a bit antsy and ready to do something again. Plus, after sitting around for a couple of weeks eating delicious (but heavy) holiday food, it’s time to get back into a normal routine. One of the first recipes that I always make right after New Year’s is a delicious soup. Nothing against all of the delicious cheesecakes, brownies, and Christmas cookies, but I’m ready for a change! I decided to start the new year off right with a classic comfort food: Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup. Given how cold it is outside right now, this soup couldn’t have come at a better time!
This Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup is seriously one of the easiest soup recipes ever. Rather than cooking my own chicken for this soup, I cheat and use a rotisserie chicken from the market. And you know what, I don’t feel bad about cutting that corner. When it comes to Chicken Noodle Soup, chances are you want something delicious, comforting…and easy to make, right? I do, however, use the rotisserie chicken to help make part of the chicken stock for this soup. Once you remove all of the meat from the rotisserie chicken, just drop the bones in a stock pot filled with 5 cups of water. Let that simmer for about 1 hour, strain the bones out, and you’ve got part of the stock for the soup already taken care of. Plus, it feels nice to not waste anything! (Most chicken stocks include seasonings and vegetables in the pot. However, since the soup recipe already uses other seasonings and veggies, I just leave them out when making the stock.)
There’s something about a classic Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup that’s sure to warm you up and put you in a better mood! (And if you happen to have a cold (or a child with a cold), then hopefully this soup will make you feel better.) I can promise this soup will definitely warm you up on a cold winter’s day. Here’s to starting the new year off with a delicious and healthy soup!
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- 5 cups water
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 3 carrots peeled and diced
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp Herbs de Provence
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 10 cups low-sodium chicken broth see note below
- 8 oz. egg noodles any style works, although I used wide
- salt to taste
- Remove the meat from the rotisserie chicken and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, and carrots, and saute until onions turn slightly translucent (~5 minutes). Add the pepper, Herbs de Provence, and cayenne pepper. Stir well.
- Add the 10 cups of broth; stir and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add egg noodles, stir, and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes less than the package directions. (I cooked mine for 5 minutes.)
- Add shredded rotisserie chicken, stir, and add salt to taste.