These Easy Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls are perfect for breakfast…especially when topped with a cream cheese frosting!
This post may contain paid links. For more information, please see our disclosure policy.
Starting in about late August, I tried pulling a bunch or two of carrots every couple of weeks…but I was always pretty disappointed. Then I was out there cleaning up the garden for the winter, and I happened to notice that carrots were peeking up through the ground on several of the bunches. Sure enough, I had some legit carrots! Those carrots look like they might have grown on the Island of Misfit Toys, but they’re still legit carrots!
And when faced with a pile of carrots, I decided the only logical solution was to bake a batch of these Easy Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls. #BakersDilemma Speaking of these Easy Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls, I have to admit that I was rather skeptical about them. I got the recipe from a friend who was telling me that she hates baking with yeast. (I personally love yeasted cinnamon rolls, and I thought that was the only way to make cinnamon rolls.) Instead of using yeast to leaven the dough, this recipe uses a combination of baking powder and baking soda. And you know what? It works! Laura described these Easy Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls as being a bit more cake-like, but that’s ok by us. They were delicious…especially when topped with a cream cheese frosting!
These Easy Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls still require a bit of time to make, but you don’t have to account for letting the dough rise. In fact, after making the dough and rolling it into a log, I was a bit worried. There is a lot of deliciousness stuffed into these cinnamon rolls, and the log of dough was rather large. But I sliced it up and laid the rolls into a greased baking pan. The rolls literally filled the entire pan. Like I kinda had to squeeze them into the pan. As I’m used to yeasted cinnamon rolls, I was certain that I would open the oven door to find that the rolls had escaped and run amok all over the place. (Amok! Amok! Amok!) But nope. Not at all! These Easy Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls did rise just slightly while baking, but they didn’t escape the pan.
If you’re looking for a fun (and super delicious!) weekend breakfast, give these cinnamon rolls a shot. They’re a combination of cinnamon rolls and carrot cake, and they’re quite delicious! Cheers, friends!
Easy Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls
For the Dough
For the Filling
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Grease and flour (or spray with nonstick spray) a 9” round cake pan.
- Using a large bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients for the dough (flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg).
- Add buttermilk, carrots and 2 Tbsp of the melted butter; stir until smooth.
- Turn dough out onto a well-floured countertop or large cutting board. Sprinkle top of dough with flour and then roll into 9”x12” rectangle. Brush the top of the dough with the remaining 2 Tbsp of melted butter.
- Using a small bowl, combine all of the Filling ingredients (brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, walnuts and raisins). Sprinkle this mixture evenly over the dough, leaving a ½” border on all sides.
- Starting with a short end, roll dough tightly into a log; pinch seam to seal dough. Slice log into 8 pieces. Lay pieces cut-side up in prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove rolls from oven and let cool slightly.
- While rolls are cooling, make the glaze by whisking together the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla; whisk until smooth. Spread glaze over warm rolls and serve.