Infused with peanut butter, these Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies are the perfect sweet treat!
This post may contain paid links. For more information, please see our disclosure policy.
I don’t think I’ve had a Swiss Cake Roll since my days of grade-school lunches. (And I still haven’t had one, either…those bad boys disappeared quickly in a room of 8 guys!) But that did get me thinking back to my days of eating lunch out of brown paper bags in the courtyard of my high school. And that led to me thinking about peanut butter sandwiches. About 90% of my lunches involved peanut butter sandwiches. (Every once in a while, I mixed it up with lunch meat…or if I was crazy lucky, some leftover pizza.)
I love a good peanut butter sandwich. But here’s the thing…I don’t like jelly on my peanut butter sandwiches. Give me a good PB&J – the J, please! Don’t get me wrong. I like jelly…on toast with butter. Not mixed with my peanut butter. I’m guessing it has something to do with my aversion to sweet and savory flavors mixed together. Laura thinks I’m nuts, but to this day I still won’t eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. There was that one time that my lunchbag got mixed up with my sisters (she likes PB&J’s)…and I went hungry.
So while I prefer to leave the jelly aside when it comes to peanut butter, I have no problem mixing in chocolate instead! These Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies are proof that chocolate and peanut butter are just meant to be friends. They are meant to hang out and talk all night. They are meant to go on long walks together. They are meant to be eaten in Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies form!
The peanut buttery goodness in these Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies is sneaky. You wouldn’t even know it was there if I didn’t tell you. So I chose to sprinkle some peanut butter chips on top of these brownies before baking them. The peanut butter mixture just melts into the chocolate brownies as they bake, and you’re left with a chewy brownie loaded with chocolate + peanut butter flavor.
Personally, these brownies are like the pinnacle of brownie greatness. I mean, I love a good classic chocolate brownie…but everything is better with peanut butter, right? Especially the edges…I’ve always loved the edges of brownies! I sliced off the edges before taking these photos. And then I ate the edges before taking these photos. Enjoy!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies
For the Brownies
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Grease and flour a 9”x13” baking pan. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper; set pan aside.
- Using a medium saucepan, add the butter, unsweetened chocolate and 1 cup of chocolate chips. Place over medium-low heat, stirring often, until butter and chocolate have fully melted; set pan aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, sugar and vanilla. Stir the egg mixture into the warm (not hot!) chocolate mixture.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir the flour mixture into the chocolate mixture.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the powdered sugar, peanut butter and milk until smooth.
- Stir the peanut butter mixture and remaining ¾ cup of chocolate chips into the brownie batter.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared baking pan. Sprinkle peanut butter chips on top.
- Bake at 325°F for 40-45 minutes, or until top of brownies is just set and a toothpick comes out mostly clean.
- Let cool before slicing. (Tip: If you refrigerate these brownies, they’ll be easier to slice.)