They might be simple, but these Chewy Sugar Cookies are a classic!
This post may contain paid links. For more information, please see our disclosure policy.
Fast forward some years (more than I care to admit to myself), and now technology simplifies our lives on a daily basis. (Or maybe it just complicates our lives…but that’s a debate for another time.) One of my favorite technological advances? DVR. I can’t remember the last time we watched a show when it aired. Wait, yes I can. It was when I was 8 years old and ran to the tv at 8pm on Friday nights to watch Full House. Remember TGIF?
We watch a show or two on tv each night after Robbie goes to bed, but we record everything. Aside from the timing convenience, we have the ability to pause the show if Robbie starts crying…or the dogs want to go out…or Dad needs a snack.
And we also have the ability to fast-forward through commercials. I seriously get annoyed at commercials when we watch live tv now. I’ve even been known to start recording my beloved football games and then start watching them 30 minutes later. I fast forward through the commercials, and I gradually catch back up until the game is live again. (I just have to avoid looking at text messages from my friends about the game until I’m live…)
Aside from during the Super Bowl, we just don’t watch commercials. Annoying local car dealer? Fast forward. Some new medication to ask my doctor about? Fast forward. iPhone commercial featuring Cookie Monster. Stop. Please tell me you guys have seen this commercial?? We will actually stop fast forwarding and rewind the commercials to watch this one. It’s that good! (I also love all of the cookies in Cookie Monster’s kitchen. And the photo of Elmo and Big Bird on the wall. Best commercial ever! Seriously!)
I paced back and forth in the kitchen. I got the oven glove out so I was ready to grab the tray at the precise moment when those cookies began to turn golden brown. I cleaned a couple dishes. I paced back and forth again. But my patience paid off once these Chewy Sugar Cookies came out of the oven.
Ok, well I had to let them cool first. That involved a bit more pacing. But then my patience paid off. These cookies are just the way I like ’em. Nice and chewy with a good sugar coating on top. But now I totally understand the difficulty that comes with being Cookie Monster. “C is for cookie…that’s good enough for me…”
Chewy Sugar Cookies
- Using a countertop mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy (~3-4 minutes on medium speed).
- Add eggs, egg yolks and vanilla; mix on low speed until well combined.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt; mix on low speed until well combined.
- Roll dough into large ball and wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- On a well-floured countertop, roll dough to ½” thickness. Using a 3” round cookie cutter, cut dough into circles. Place circles on parchment-lined baking sheet at least 1” apart. Sprinkle tops of cookies generously with sugar and/or sprinkles.
- Bake for 14-17 minutes or until edges of cookies just begin to turn brown.
- Let cookies cool completely before removing from pan.