These Baked Pumpkin Spice Donuts are packed with cinnamon and pumpkin…and they’re the perfect sweet treat for a chilly Autumn day!
This post may contain paid links. For more information, please see our disclosure policy.
As we were sitting there with our donuts and coffee (milk for Robbie), I told him that we could make donuts together when we got back home. He immediately said, “What?” I told him, yup, we can make donuts together back home. He got a big smile on his face…and then proceeded to get more powdered sugar on his face and shirt than I would’ve thought possible. Again, like father, like son!
The photo above is from the day after Laura and I got married. We got married in North Carolina, and the State Fair happened to be going on in Raleigh at the same time. Of course, I needed an elephant ear. And of course I got powdered sugar all over everything. Just like Robbie!
Baked Pumpkin Spice Donuts
It took a bit of time, but Robbie and I finally got around to making those donuts at home. Since we are officially in Pumpkin Spice Everything season, I figured why not go with Baked Pumpkin Spice Donuts. I debated going with the more traditional fried donut here, but I decided baking ’em would be easier since I had a 4-year-old helping out.
I measured each of the ingredients, and Robbie poured them into the mixing bowl. After spooning the batter into our donut pan, we waited patiently to see what these Baked Pumpkin Spice Donuts would look like. They turned out great! Big, puffy donuts packed with flavor. (And there’s actually a whole can of pureed pumpkin in there, too.)
Of course, Robbie’s favorite part of the process (besides eating the donuts) was putting them in a paper bag and gently shaking them with the cinnamon-sugar mixture. I had to remind him a couple of times to be gentle or he’d end up with a bag full of donut crumbs. He did a great job, and I’d deem our baking adventure a success! As we were sitting around the dinner table that night enjoying Baked Pumpkin Spice Donuts, Robbie said, “Dad, I really enjoyed baking donuts with you today.” Man, that kid. I hope you have as much fun baking (and eating) these donuts as we did!
Did you make a batch of these Baked Pumpkin Spice Donuts at home? Leave a comment, or snap a photo and tag me on Instagram (@Spicedblog). Happy baking!
Baked Pumpkin Spice Donuts
For the Doughnuts
- ¼ cup unsalted butter melted
- ¼ cup vegetable or canola oil
- ½ cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1½ cups canned pumpkin not pumpkin pie filling
- 2¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Spray 2 doughnut-pans with nonstick baking spray; set pans aside.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Using a large mixing bowl, add melted butter, vegetable oil, milk, eggs, vanilla extract, both sugars and canned pumpkin; stir until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, add flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt, baking powder and baking soda; stir until well combined.
- Pour dry ingredients into bowl with the wet ingredients; stir until just combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared baking pans. (Note: You can fill the doughnut “cups” right to the top.)
- Bake for 9-12 minutes, or until doughnuts are light golden brown on top. (Note: Test the doughnuts by inserting a toothpick into the center of one. If the toothpick comes out clean – or with only a few crumbs attached – then the donuts are done.)
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes before turning doughnuts out onto a cooling rack.
- While doughnuts are still warm, place them 1-2 at a time in a small paper bag along with the sugar and cinnamon. Shake gently until well-coated. Repeat process with remaining doughnuts. Sprinkle any remaining cinnamon sugar mixture on top of doughnuts before serving.
Looking for more baked donut recipes? Check out these other favorites, too: