This Garden Fresh Tomato Pie was a family favorite recipe growing up. It’s a simple recipe that I remember my grandmother making every summer!
My garden has been working overtime during the past couple of weeks. I have more zucchini, tomatoes, beans, and peas than I know what to do with! Ok, that’s a lie. I’ve really been enjoying whipping up some new tasty dishes with all of the fresh veggies. Earlier this week, I picked a ton of ripe tomatoes…and so off I went to figure out what to make. Homemade tomato sauce is always an option, but I actually like using canned San Marzano tomatoes, so I nixed that idea. Bruschetta is another great option for fresh tomatoes, so lunches for the past several days have been simple: Italian bread and fresh tomatoes drizzled with good olive oil. But I still had more tomatoes…so that’s where this delicious Garden-Fresh Tomato Pie comes in! After all, how can you go wrong with a dish that includes fresh tomatoes, basil, cheese, and bacon??
You could certainly use a store-bought pie shell for this recipe, but homemade pie dough is not nearly as hard as it sounds! (Check out this Bourbon Sour Cherry Pie post as it includes some notes on making your own pie dough. Just remember: that recipe makes a top and bottom crusted pie, and you only need a bottom for this Garden-Fresh Tomato Pie. Just cut the pie dough ingredients in half and you’ll be good to go. Or make a full batch of dough and freeze half of it for later…it freezes great!) I also chose to bake my pie in a tart-shaped pan, but you could easily use a pie pan if you prefer.
I absolutely love Italian food, so it’s not surprising that this Garden-Fresh Tomato Pie contains several of the key ingredients common to Italian cuisine, namely tomatoes, basil, and mozzarella cheese. So if your garden is overflowing with deliciousness (or if tomatoes are on sale at your local market), then get in the kitchen and whip up a pie…a tomato pie!
Garden-Fresh Tomato Pie
- Pie dough either homemade or store-bought
- 4 large tomatoes sliced
- 1 small red onion diced
- 8 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 6 large basil leaves torn into small pieces
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Roll pie dough into pie or tart pan. Remove any excess dough.
- Layer the sliced tomatoes around the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle diced onion and crumbed bacon on top of the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle basil, salt, and pepper evenly across top.
- In a medium bowl, combine the mayonnaise and cheeses. Stir until well combined.
- Spread the mayonnaise-cheese mixture evenly across the top of the pie.
- Bake at 400F degrees for 35 minutes, or until top of pie turns a deep gold color.
- Let pie rest before slicing. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.